Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, cubed
- 1 lb eggplant, peeled, cubed
- 2 lbs tomatoes, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- salt and pepper
- 12 ounces spaghetti, cooked
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is soft.
- Stir in bell pepper, eggplant, tomatoes, wine, basil, and oregano.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Serve sauce over spaghetti.
I also roasted the eggplant as others have suggested. Added more onion and garlic because we like them. Didn't have any red wine open so I used some dry vermouth which worked fine. Based on another recipe I looked at before deciding on this one, I also added some capers and olives. Really good - DH liked it a lot.
This was very tasty! I also roasted the eggplant, and cooked in the slowcooker on low @ 7-8 hours. I added the whole green pepper, 4 garlic cloves, and a cup of wine, and a can of tomato paste. The only reason its 4 stars instead of 5 is because after 4 hours, the consistency looked brothy and i like it thick, hence the tomato paste. then a tablespoon of sugar to cut the acidity, but the flavor was wonderful!
This is a culinary delight! I used this recipe but added a few items from another recipe namely, a small can of tomato paste and I used white wine instead of red because that's what I had opened - absolutely delicious over pasta. I also roasted the eggplant as suggested by Caroine Cooks but didn't put it in the food processor.