Prep 20 mins
Cook 22 mins
From Shape magazine.
Make and share this Spaghetti With Chunky Tomato Sauce (And Olive Tapenade) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs loaf whole grain baguette, sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 1⁄2 cup pitted greek kalamata olive
- 1⁄4 cup stuffed green olive (stuffed with pimento)
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350* F.
- To make the sauce, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and saute 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, oregano and black pepper and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil.
- Meanwhile, arrange bread slices on a baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, until golden brown. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- To make the tapenade, in a food processor, combine olives, capers and garlic. Process until almost smooth.
- Transfer spaghetti to individual bowls and spoon tomato sauce over top. Top toasted bread with tapenade and serve on the side.