Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Recipe is from Rachael Ray.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb pancetta or 1⁄2 lb bacon, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small red chili peppers, seeded and finely chopped or 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pint Brussels sprout, cores trimmed and thinly sliced about 1/8-inch thick
- black pepper
- 1 few grates nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
- Heat a deep skillet over medium-high heat with olive oil, three turns of the pan. Add the bacon and render for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and chili pepper and stir for 1 minute. Add the shredded Brussels sprouts and season with black pepper. Toss to lightly brown; season with nutmeg, thyme and lemon zest. Once the Brussels wilt and lightly brown at the edges, add the stock, lemon juice and butter; reduce the heat to low.
- Salt the boiling water for the pasta. Drop the pasta and cook to al dente; reserve 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water. Drain the pasta and toss with the sprouts and a little starchy cooking water. Remove from the heat and toss with the cheese; serve immediately.