Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Convenient, tasty, fun, different. A simple and favorite family meal consisting of cold spaghetti mixed with fresh vegetables and topped with hot barbecued pork and shrimp. Served with melted butter, it is a good cool weather dish. Variations: -add a deep-fried taquito to the top of the dish with the bbq pork. -substitute beef for the pork. -substitute chicken for the pork -substitute prawns for the pork -basil is also good as an herb garnish for this dish.
- 1 lb pork, partially frozen then thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -3 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lime, juice of, only
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1 (8 ounce) package spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1⁄2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro
- 1⁄2 bunch mint
- 1⁄4 cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, mix together the pork, shallots or scallions, garlic, peppers, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice, salt and pepper. Set aside to marinate for 15-30 minutes.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to boil. Add the carrots and blanch for about 30 seconds. Remove the carrots with a slotted spoon to a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking.
- Place the spaghetti in boiling water for 10 minutes until cooked through. Drain, rinse in cold water and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan or wok over medium-high flame. Remove the pork from its marinade and sauté quickly until just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add equal amounts of the carrots and lettuce to each 2 or 3 deep serving bowls. Place equal amounts spaghetti on top of the vegetables. Then place a spoonful of pork on top of the noodles to cover them about 1/3 of the way. Place the sliced cucumber neatly over another 1/3 of the noodles. Finally, lay sprigs of cilantro and mint over the remaining 1/3 of the noodles.
- Sprinkle peanuts over each dish and serve with melted butter to pour over the noodles to taste.