Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is one of my favorite Spaghetti sauces. Serve with a salad and crisp french bread.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 dash basil
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel
- 1⁄4 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) package spaghetti
- Brown ground beef and onion in Dutch oven or large skillet Add all other ingredients except spaghetti.
- Simmer covered 1 hour Then uncovered for one and a half hours.
- Serve over cooked spaghetti.
This was my first attempt at homemade (at least not from a jar!) spaghetti sauce, and it turned out very nice and made quite a bit! I used only 1/2 lb beef and supplemented with finely diced zucchini and extra onion to make up for the missing bulk. I also used a 28-oz can of tomatoes and 1/2 can hatch green chiles instead of Rotel. I wasn't sure if I should drain the tomatoes or not so I didn't; next time I probably will. OH, and I threw the whole thing in the crock pot for about 4 hours on high, which worked out fine. Next time I will probably stir in some cheese at the end of cooking to take the edge off the tomato-yness, but otherwise I have no complaints. Thanks so much for posting. Made for PRMR.
Although I usually make meatballs separate from the sauce (then freeze a lot of it) I decided to make this up as a change of pace! The only change I made was to leave out the mushrooms, & still we had A GREAT TASTING SAUCE ~ VERY, VERY NICE! Froze most of it but kept enough out for a very satisfying lunch! Thanks for a great recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]
Very good spaghetti sauce, thank you Nimz! I used ground round, garlic pepper seasoning, white wine, and only about 1/3 of a cup of rotel. After cooking for 2 hours the sauce was thick enough for us and smelled wonderful. DH went back for seconds and cant wait to have the leftovers for lunch. Made and reviewed for Went to the Market tag game.