Grandma Gozzi's Spaghetti Sauce
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 1⁄4 cup oil, preferably olive
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (35 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, puree'
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Cook until onion softens, 5-8 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes and tomato puree'.
- Reduce heat to low; cook, partially covered, 1 hour.
- Stir in tomato paste, basil, oregano and 1 cup of water; cook, partially covered, until thickened, about 1 hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Hi Sissylu, I have made your recipe twice now.Â The first time I made it exactly as written.Â The second time I addedÂ some chopped green pepper along with the onions.Â I also threw inÂ some browned Italian sausage and Kittencals Melt in Your Mouth Meatballs and let it simmer for a couple of hours.Â The consistency of the sauce is fabulous.Â We don't like our spaghetti sauce to be runny or too thick. This sauce turned out perfect each time I made it. Thanks for posting a delicious recipe.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Arkansas, and no, not on a farm nor in the "country"...I guess you could say I'm a city chick, but a true southern girl at heart. I work full time in the office for a major manufacturing company whose products are bought and shipped worldwide. I am single (at the moment), and have no human children, but I'm the proud mother of 3 cats, of whom I love dearly (and they love me!). I have lots of hobbies, but my favorite of course, is collecting good recipes. And that is why I love recipezaar so much because of the wonderful recipes I get!