Grandma Shannon's Amazing Spaghetti Sauce
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef (I'll sometimes substitute ground turkey, Italian sausage, or do a mixture of the three.)
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 28 ounces water
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil (or use 1 T. dried basil)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed, ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, ground
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large pot, over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and saute the onion, garlic and meat together. (It's best to add the garlic after the onion and meat have been sauteed for 4-5 min.). Saute for 8-10 minutes altogether. Drain the fat.
- Add the remaining ingredients and let simmer for 1 hour or more. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. I sometimes add a teaspoon of sugar to make it a bit sweeter, if need be. Serve over your favorite cooked pasta and enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!