Recipe by JudyCC
This recipe is from the original Heloise. (The "Helpful Hint" lady). The recipe is delicious and the flavor is actually even better day 2! I took the liberty of changing the recipe slightly for fat reduction purposes. The original recipe called for 3/4 c. of fat to saute the onions. I eliminated that and use the fat that results from frying the bacon to saute the onions.
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf, finely crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt (original recipe calls for 1 tbsp. but that is too salty for my taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces red wine
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 carrot, finely shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Partially fry bacon. Do not fry completely. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Saute onions in about 3 tbsp of the bacon fat. Set aside.
- Brown ground beef in a large sauce pan until browned, stirring occasionally. My family likes the meat to be finely crumbled for this sauce. If desired remove excess fat from browned beef and discard.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cover and cook over very low heat for an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over favorite cooked pasta.