1/5 Photos of Spaghetti Sauce
3 hrs 20 mins
Nice, back of the stove, slow cooking sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 ounces red wine
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 -2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1Place a 4 quart pot over medium high heat, add olive oil and red pepper flakes, stirring for approximately 1 minute.
- 2Lower heat to medium and add onion, sautéing until onion begins to be translucent.
- 3Add garlic and sauté for additional 2 minutes.
- 4Add both cans tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, sugar, and wine.
- 5Add spices, blending thoroughly.
- 6Cover and simmer on low heat for 2 hours.
- 7Taste test after 2 hours and add more wine if too thick and re season as desired.
- 8Simmer, covered, for an additional hour.
- 9Can be slow cooked in crock pot on low for 6-8 hours.
- 10Cooked ground beef or turkey or cooked Italian sausage may be added upon serving if desired.
- 11This recipe freezes well.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spaghetti Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (248 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 147.8
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 540.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 3.4 g