Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Posting for World Tour 2. Comfort food. :)
- 2 cups spaetzle noodles
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced white onions
- 3⁄4 cup grated emmenthaler cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Boil the spaetzle noodles until done; drain.
- While noodles are boiling, heat butter in fry pan over medium-high heat, add onions, and brown lightly. Remove from heat. Toss in the cheese with dry mustard.
- Add cooked noodles to cooked onions and cheese mixture; mix well.
- Place mixture in an ovenproof casserole. Sprinkle w/ chives.
- Bake at 300 degrees F. for 20 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Great recipe! This is a great way to fix noodles, and we certainly enjoyed it. We substituted egg noodles for spaetzle and gruyere for emmenthaler. Made for ZWT6
My grocery store didn't have spaetzle, so I used egg noodles. I also used Swiss cheese and 2 tsp dried chives. It turned out very nice and my 14yo step-son said, "You should make this more often." And he "hates" onions! lol. Reviewed for ZWT4.
I helped my mom make this with our pork roast. It reminded me of our recent trip to Europe, and was good tasting. Some of our family was looking for the traditional spaetzle and gravy, but this is a nice change up!