Recipe by CatlingMex
Great for vegetarians or non-vegetarians on a meatless Lenten Friday or when the grocery money has dwindled down to next to nothing. You won't miss the meat when you eat this filling wrapped in hot soft corn tortillas and topped with the chili peppers or hot sauce of your choice. I found this on the Internet a few years ago. (All quantities are approximate, so don't fret about measuring.)
- 1 cup texturized soy protein
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup black olives, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rehydrate the soy protein by soaking it in the boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Sautee the onion, garlic, mushrooms and green pepper (if using) in the margarine.
- Add soy protein, any seasonings you want, and black olives (optional) and continue to sautee until most of the moisture has evaporated, about 20 minutes. NOTE ABOUT SEASONINGS: I just use salt to taste and the occasional herb that I have on hand, but you could also add bottled taco sauce, chili powder, ketchup, soy sauce, or whatever you like.
- Eat immediately or store tightly covered in the refrigerator for several days.