Recipe by Manami
This twist on the classic garlic mayonnaise is as simple as blending mayo and fresh ginger in a processor. "I'm a chef at a place called Slightly North of Broad in Charleston, I don't let my cooking at home get too complicated," says Chef Joe Dion of North Charleston, South Carolina. "Whenever I have the chance I enjoy getting together with friends and cooking for them" This dish is awesome! With the right blending of Asian seasonings, it was a delight to eat. Bon Apetit, April 2005 -- Joe Dion, North Charleston, SC. Marinating time 30 minutes up to an hour.
Top Review by Abby Girl
This recipe is top drawer...but I did make some changes. The marinade makes up alot, so I cut the recipe in half. I only used 3/4 cup mayonnaise for the ginger aioli. Classy recipe!!
MARINADE FOR SHRIMP
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sake or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon golden brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 24 deveined peeled uncooked large shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped peeled fresh ginger
- cooked white rice, with
- fresh parsley leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine soy sauce, green onions, 4 tablespoons oil, vinegar, sake, brown sugar, curshed red pepper flakes, and garlic in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish; whisk marinade to blend.
- Add shrimp and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour, turning shrimp occasionally.
- Blend mayonnaise and ginger in food processor until smooth.
- Transfer ginger aioli to small bowl and refrigerate.
- Drain marinade from shrimp into small saucepan; bring to boil.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons boiled marinade into ginger aioli; reserve remaining boiled marinade.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp; sauté until just opaque in center, about 4 minutes.
- Mound rice in center of plates.
- Arrange shrimp around rice; drizzle with ginger aioli.
- Serve, passing reserved boiled marinade.