Recipe by currybunny
A beautiful Chinese-flavoured roast from Ross Dobson's "Chinatown" book. This was perfect, with dark roasted skin over juicy flesh and a beautiful dressing - plus it's fun to hear the dressing sizzling when you pour the hot oil onto it! A very easy, foolproof roast - I rarely can roast chickens well in my dodgy over, but this one was perfect. Ideally put the chicken into marinade the night before roasting it.
- 1 (1 5/8 kg) chicken (3 lb 8oz)
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine (shao xing)
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely shredded
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal (scallions)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and dry chicken. Combine the dark soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil and rub the mixture all over the chicken. Place the chicken in a large bowl and refridgerate, uncovered, for a few hours or overnight; turn the chicken occaisionally.
- Preheat over to 200°C (400°F). Line a roasting tin with baking paper. Put the chicken in the tin, breast side up, and roast for 20 minutes. Turn the chicken over and cook for another 20 minutes. Turn the chicken once more so that it is breast side up again and cook for 30 minutes or until golden brown and juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a skewer.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly then cut the chicken up Chinese style and arrange on a serving platter. (Or just cut into 10 pieces - legs, wings and breasts cut into 3).
- Put the light soy, rice wine, sugar and stock into a small suacepan and heat gently for 2-3 minutes. Pour the sauce over the chicken, then scatter with the ginger and spring onions.
- Wipe the saucepan dry with paper towels, then put the peanut oil and remaining teaspoon of sesame oil in the pan over high heat; when it reaches smoking point, carefully pour it over the chicken, which will cause the ginger and spring onion to sizzle. Serve immediately.