Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A healthy southwestern alternative to burgers
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground dark turkey meat (93% lean)
- 1 jalapeno chile, minced
- 2 ounces grated monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- coarse salt
- vegetable oil, for grates
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split horizontally
- fresh salsa
- sliced avocado
- sliced pickle
- jalapeno chile
- Heat grill to medium-high. In a medium bowl, place turkey, jalapeño, cheese, breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix very gently with a fork to combine, being careful not to overwork meat.
- Gently form meat into 4 equal-size patties, 4 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick. Press thumb in the center of each patty to make an indentation approximately 1/2-inch deep (to help keep burgers flat during grilling).
- Moisten a folded paper towel with oil; grasp with tongs and rub over grates. Season burgers with salt and pepper; grill until cooked throughout, 5 to 8 minutes per side. Serve on buns (toasted on grill, if you like), with desired toppings.
Was very good and simple to prepare. I added some cilantro and finely chopped bell peppers to the turkey meat. We substitued salsa for teh mayo. Thanks!