Recipe by Starrynews
A warm, filling soup with a zip – great for cold weather! If you prefer a little less spicy heat, feel free to reduce the cayenne pepper to your taste.
Top Review by pthompson_burke
Very satisfying veg soup! I doubled the recipe, but stirred in leftover cooked quinoa near the end. The cayenne was too much for my family. I also added a can of diced tomatoes.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 poblano chile, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup corn
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a pot. Saute onion and garlic until onion is translucent.
- Add poblano chili and red pepper, and sauté 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Add quinoa and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in corn, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and milk and simmer an additional 5-10 minutes uncovered, until thickened. Stir occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm, garnished as desired with cilantro, tomato, and cheddar cheese.