Recipe by Mindelicious
Breakfast, lunch, or dinner! This tasty blend of quinoa stuffed in a tortilla and topped with a zesty southwestern sauce and avocados is sure to fill you up! Packed with protien & its even cheezy!! Feel free to add even more veggies - onions, bell peppers.
Top Review by Prose
Yum! What a fun twist on your average burrito! The texture of the quinoa and "cheesy" sauce was great. I made it as directed, but had lots of leftover filling (which I used for more burritos). I would say that this recipe makes enough filling (but not enough sauce) for about six large burritos. Made for Veg*n Swap, July 2010.
- 1 cup quinoa (remove saponins if your quinoa did not come clean of this)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup cooked red kidney beans (or canned, drained & rinsed)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic (I used dried)
- 1⁄2 cup nutritional yeast
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 6 tortillas (depends how full you want them)
- avocado, chopped (for garnish)
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Add dry, unwashed quinoa to a large dry skillet. Toast until fragrant, stirring occasionally. Add veggie broth and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat, and simmer until tender (about 15 minutes).
- Add beans, water, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt & pepper. Cover, and heat over low flame until beans are warmed through. Add more water if needed to keep the quinoa from sticking.
- In an oven or toaster oven, lightly toast 2 tortillas until warm and slightly crispy.
- Make the sauce: Add all sauce ingredients to a blender and process until sauce is smooth.
- Plate. Divide quinoa/bean mixture in half, and place half the filling inside each tortilla. Roll up or fold tortillas in half. Drizzle with southwestern sauce and chopped avocados.