Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
The egg whites in this breakfast-for-dinner favorite provide lean protein, while black beans add fiber and iron. Add broccoli or red peppers to sneak in a serving of veggies. Black beans and cheddar make for a southwestern-inspired hearty omelet filling, but feel free to vary this recipe by using kidney beans or Monterey Jack cheese instead.
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup bottled salsa
- cooking spray
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine beans, onions, cheese, and salsa in a medium bowl.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Pour egg mixture into pan; let egg mixture set slightly. Tilt pan and carefully lift edges of omelet with a spatula; allow uncooked portion of flow underneath cooked portion. Cook 3 minutes; flip omelet. Spoon bean mixture onto half of omelet. Carefully loosen omelet with a spatula; fold in half. Cook 1 minute or until cheese melts. Slide omelet onto a platel cut in half.