Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
One of my favorite tricks for getting a meal on the table quickly and easily is using a deli-roasted chicken. To really enhance the flavor of this soup, sprinkle with chopped cilantro leaves before serving. If you want to add some more heat, sprinkle in crushed red pepper while it is simmering.
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb thin-skinned potato, scrubbed and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, rind of (yellow part only)
- 1 teaspoon crumbled dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 anaheim chilies, stemmed,seeded and chopped (about 3 oz)
- 1 roasted chicken
- 2 cups frozen white corn
- fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
- In a 6- to 8-quart pan over high heat, combine broth, onion, potatoes, diced tomatoes and their juice, lemon peel, tarragon, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced, about 10 minutes.
- Add chilies and simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, discard skin and fat from chicken and pull meat off bones.
- Chop meat into bite-size pieces.
- When potatoes are tender, add chicken meat and corn to soup.
- Simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro if desired.
This soup was really good. I was going to give it four stars because in the end it was missing something that I tried to make up for with white pepper and garlic. I went to the effort of making it exactly as stated EXCEPT for the anaheim chilies (because of the two toddlers that were eating too) even though that meant a trip to the store to get a few things, but it still came up short in the zip department. I give it five stars what it was lacking may very well have been those chilies that I left out! BTW, it was beautiful to eat with the fresh cilantro and chopped avacodo that we used as garnishes. In fact, I can't imagine not having the cilantro in this soup....IMO it should be a must have ingredient!
Spicy and sweet, very delicious and easy easy to make. I did not use dried tarragon, it wasn't in my cupboard and used a small onion with jalapeno's (4). Its the best!
This was a fabulous soup. I gave some to my friend and she loved it so much she went out to buy the ingredients that afternoon. I didn't have any anaheim chilies so I used jalepenos.