Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Yum! A little kick, a little sweet and a little savory! From Woman's Day magazine.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (or parsley)
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from canned chipotles in adobo)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 8 thick slices country bread (I like whole grain)
- 8 ounces extra sharp white cheddar cheese, coarsely grated (or orange cheddar)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the lime juice, honey, 1 tbls. oil and 1/4 teaspoons each salt and pepper. Add the onion and cilantro and let sit, tossing occasionally, until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the adobo sauce and brown sugar.
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with the remaining 2 tbls. oil. Form sandwiches with the bread(oiled side out), adobo mixture, cheese and the onion-cilantro mixture.
- Working in batches, cook the sandwiches in a nonstick skillet, covered, over medium low heat, until the bread is golden brown and crisp and the cheese has melted, 3-4 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches. Enjoy!