Southwestern Pasta & Cheese
From Taste of Home's Healthy Cooking Magazine. Naomi Reed of McMinnville Oregon wrote, "I gave mac and cheese a twist by adding some favorite ingredients. My family absolutely loves this side dish."
- Ready In:
- 3 1⁄3 cups uncooked bow tie pasta
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 1⁄4 cups nonfat milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 slices center-cut bacon, strips cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute pepper and onions in oil until tender. Stir in the flour, chili powder, cumin, salt, and chipotle pepper until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese until melted.
- Drain pasta; toss with sauce. Stir in bacon and cilantro. Transfer to a 2 quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation