Recipe by Queen Dragon Mom
Adopted! For authenticity, leave out the spinach and substitute roasted corn. Replace jack and cheddar with queso blanco. A good addition would be grilled corn kernels. Yum! Prep time does not include the heating time for the oil. I have reworked the recipe so that it actually makes sense. I think?
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (18 ounce) can black beans, drained, reserving 1/3 C liquid
- 8 ounces frozen spinach, defrosted squeezed dry and chopped
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, small dice
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, grated
- 25 egg roll wraps
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine beans with reserved juice, spinach, tomatoes, cilantro, onions, cumin, salt and pepper to taste in a large stainless or glass bowl. Refrigerate while the chicken is cooking.
- Either bake, broil or grill the chicken until almost done, still pink in the middle.
- Remove chicken from oven or grill, let cool slightly, shred with a sharp knife or by hand.
- Remove vegetable mixture from refrigerator, strain out any liquid, stir in the cheeses and shredded chicken.
- Following the directions included in the eggroll wrapper package, make individual rolls with the vegetable, cheese and chicken mixture.
- Place on baking sheet and put in freezer while oil to fry is heating.
- When oil has reached 375F, bring the eggrolls out and fry them 3 to 4 at a time, until crispy and golden brown. This will take about 5 minutes. When the rolls are done, they will float and there should be very little bubbling of the fat around them. They shouldn't spatter much, but be careful.
- Remove each batch of rolls to a cooling rack and place in a slow oven (275F) while cooking the remaining rolls.
- When all rolls are cooked, cut them in half, diagonally. Serve with whatever type of dipping sauce you prefer.