1/3 Photos of Southwestern Caviar (Mock Caviar)
2 hrs 30 mins
A beautiful presentation for a dip, this is one recipe that always ends with a clean platter. This recipe is an adaptation over the years from an old southwestern cookbook (I don't know where it ended up, but it was one of my first ever cookbooks). This is one of the recipes I keep in my camping recipe book because it's so easy to make ahead & then plate when we're ready to snack. Cook time reflects marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinse & drain
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped black olives, drain
- 1/4 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (fresh squeezed recommended)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, fine ground
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened & stirred well
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- tortilla chips, for serving
- 1In small bowl with sealing lid, combine all ingredients except cream cheese, egg & green onion. Cover & refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- 2Before serving, on medium (8-10 inch) platter (I use a round one) spread cream cheese out into large round circle.
- 3Carefully spread marinated bean mixture over cream cheese, also in a circle, but leaving about 1/2 inch ring of cream cheese showing around the outer edge.
- 4Arrange chopped egg on top of bean mixture in a ring around the outer 2/3 of the beans, this time leave a circle of area in the center uncovered.
- 5Sprinkle green onion in center of the egg ring.
- 6Serve with tortilla chips or strips.
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Caviar (Mock Caviar)
Serving Size: 1 (118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 309.0
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 147.5 mg
- Sodium 407.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 11.0 g