Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is something I came up with when I wanted to use some dried beans but didn't want to have the same old baked beans. I added the barley to get more healthy grains into my family, knowing the color of the black beans would mask it. There are only 4 of us so we ended up having over half of this left after dinner. The leftovers worked great for burrito filling and a vegetarian topping for nachos.
- 1 cup dried black beans, rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄2 large sweet onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Soak beans for 6 hours or overnight. Drain and mix remaining ingredients in a 2qt casserole. Add enough water to be 1/2" above level of bean mixture. (this was to the top of my casserole dish).
- Cover with foil and bake at 375 about 3 hours. Be sure to check after an hour and again after the 2nd hour to see if more water is needed. I ended up adding maybe 1/2 - 1 cup more each time.
- This may also be done on the high setting of your slowcooker for 6-8 hours. I just didn't think far enough ahead to do mine that way.
- You can substitute dried pintos, or even great northerns, if you don't have black beans.