Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a perfect summertime main-course salad. Cool and refreshing, and you can make it up to a day ahead of time, so you don't have to prepare it during the heat of the day. It's also a good buffet dish, or picnic dish. It travels very well. This is one of my favorite summer meals.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup long-grain rice (I like Jasmine)
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken or 2 cups turkey breast
- 3⁄4 lb ripe plum tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup corn kernels, cooked fresh or 1 cup frozen corn kernel, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup diced red onion
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons white wine or 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large jalapeno chile, seeded and minced very fine
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- avocado, slices (to garnish)
- red leaf lettuce (to garnish)
- Bring the water to a boil, stir in the rice, bring to the boil again, cover and turn heat down to low.
- Cook until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer the rice to a large bowl and add the chicken, tomato, bell pepper, corn and red onion.
- Toss to combine.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing, and pour over top of the salad, then toss again.
- The salad should be covered and refrigerated for at least 3 hours, but is better if left overnight.
- To serve, arrange the lettuce leaves in a shallow bowl, spoon the salad on top, garnish with avocado slices.
- Notes: Please don't leave out the cilantro or jalapeno.
- This is not a spicy dish, but those items are very important.
- My husband hates cilantro, but loves this dish.
- I like to serve this salad with fresh tortillas, or corn cakes.
I just happened to have all the ingredients, so I tried this recipe. It was very good. I wouldn't go out and buy these items to make this, but if you happen to have most of these ingredients on hand - it is definitely worth it.