Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
An excellent cool salad. It is make ahead and easy to make. The colors are very attractive, and the dressing is tart and tangy. You may also use the dressing on pasta or beans. Add grilled chicken strips for a complete meal, or Garbanzo beans, or try adding torn Romain lettuce just before serving.
- 2 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 fresh tomato, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped (I like a purple onion)
- monterey jack cheese, cubed (optional)
- 59.14 ml fresh lime juice
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 44.37 ml chopped cilantro
- 1 fresh jalapeno, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2.46 ml chili powder (prefrences New Mexico)
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- Combine all ingredients, except the tomato, add dressing, and chill several hours or overnight.
- Add tomato just before serving.
- Dressing: Mix dressing ingredients in a jar.
- Shake to mix, or whisk very, very well.
- Store in a glass jar in refrigerator.
Every single time I make this (today will be the 5th or 6th time), I get rave reviews. I love all of the ingredients and the dressing is perfectly tangy without being overpowering. Perfect for picnics, summertime grillouts, and is versatile as a side dish or an appetizer. I'd imagine that for those who like a kick to their food, some jalapenos or a bit of cayenne would make a great addition too! Great recipe!
So delish! I've made it many times, omitting only the cheese and adding probably more cilantro to taste. Lovely, lovely summer recipe. Thank you!
I substituted chickpeas for the black beans (didn't have any) and was very generous with the cilantro and this was delicious. The dressing is so good- I might make some to keep in the fridge for other salads.