Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
A hearty main-dish salad.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1⁄2 fine dry breadcrumb
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) jar mild taco sauce
- 4 cups salad greens
- chopped tomato, 1 large
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and chili powder; cook about 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently until onion is tender and well coated with chili powder.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Spoon onion into large bowl; wipe out skillet and set aside.
- To the onions, add ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, and salt; blend well.
- Shape mixture into 1-inch balls.
- To skillet, add 2 tablespoons oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add meatballs and cook until well browned on all sides.
- Stir in taco sauce and tomato; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5-10 minutes.
- To serve: On individual plates, arrange lettuce; spoon meat ball mixture over lettuce; sprinkle with cheese.
- Serve immediately.