Recipe by JanuaryBride
I was searching for a black bean burger with Southwestern flair and couldn't find the perfect recipe. . .so I devised my own this morning. I use black beans that I cook from dried in the crockpot which I spice up with cumin, a bay leaf, oregano, salt and pepper. If you like things spicy, feel free to use a hot salsa to add heat. If these break, feel free to throw them into a hard taco shell and add some tomato, cheese and sour cream for an excellent vegetarian taco!
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup rolled oats (may sub barley oats)
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons potato flakes (I used cheese flavor)
- 1⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup crushed Fritos corn chips
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Mash beans with the back of a fork to desired consistency (I like to leave some chunks, but the more chunks the more likely they are to fall apart after cooking).
- Add in the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Form into 6 burgers, separate them with wax paper, and then place in the fridge to cool completely before trying to cook (they will stay together better this way).
- Turn frying pan to med-high (closer to medium than to high) and add 1 T oil. Cook each burger for about 2-3 minutes on each side (turning ONLY once, otherwise you increase the risk of them falling apart).
- NOTE: Feel free to bake these on a greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for approximately 7 minutes per side or until heated through.
- Serve on a bun with a slice of tomato and some guacamole.