Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This barley salad makes tasty use of nutritious ingredients. It's a nice "change of pace" side dish that goes well with just about any kind of meat or can serve as a meatless salad as well. Originally from a newspaper recipe for diabetic and low fat dishes.
Top Review by BassLady
Was looking for something to use my barley in. I am trying to incoporate healthier grains into my diet. This was really good. I did not have the green pepper and I don't like cilantro. I used regular sour cream and added just a little ranch dressing and a tomato. Made for a nice lunch salad. Thanks for the good recipe.
- 3 cups vegetable stock or 3 cups chicken stock
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup canned corn kernel, drained
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion, tops and bottom parts
- 1⁄2 cup mild salsa
- 3 teaspoons low-fat sour cream or 3 teaspoons fat free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh limes or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan over high heat, bring the stock to a boil.
- Add barley; reduce heat to medium low.
- Simmer, covered, 40 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl; cool to room temperature.
- Add corn, black beans, peppers, green onions and mix well.
- In a bowl, combine the dressing ingredients and mix well.
- Pour dressing over salad; toss to coat well and serve.