Recipe by alijen
We are huge sweet potato fans- often make this in mini-loaf pans and wrap in pretty tissue for gifts. Found in a cookbook- an old newspaper clipping.
Top Review by mianbao
This cake turned out very well for me, lightly spiced and fairly dense. I processed cold cooked sweet potato which I pushed down in the measuring cup, so I may have used a bit more than if I had mashed the sweet potatoes hot. There was a hint of sweet potato flavor in the background that was very nice. I didn't think I should eat all of the cake myself, so I took part in to work and everyone there was impressed. Thank you for posting this recipe.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons butter, at room temperature, plus
- additional butter, for the baking pan
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, cooked, mashed and cooled (yield 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Generously butter a 10-cup tube or bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the sugar gradually, about 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the sweet potatoes and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Reduce the speed to low or switch to a wooden spoon and gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture in 3 additions, beating well after each addition.
- The batter should be stiff.
- Add the vanilla, pecans and, if desired, the coconut.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until the cake tests done when a wire cake tester is inserted in the middle and comes out clean, 50 to 65 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes.
- Invert the cake onto a plate and remove.
- Note: To cook sweet potatoes, peel and quarter potatoes, add to boiling water and simmer, uncovered, until tender, about 20 minutes, depending on size- Drain and mash.