1/2 Photos of Southern-Style Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs
17 hrs 20 mins
From the Greensboro News and Record, by Cecelia Thompson Cook time is brining time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 dozen egg, hard boiled and peeled
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 15 ounces sliced beets, from a can
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- sliced raw onion, to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- basil, fresh, chopped (for garnish)
- 1Drain beets and reserve juice. Set beets aside.
- 2Combine vinegar, beet juice, brown sugar, peppercorns, and salt in a sauce pan and boil until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool.
- 3Layer eggs, beets, and onion in a jar large enough to fit (with room for the brine), and fill the jar with the cooled brine.
- 4Soak eggs for at least 16 hours, up to 20 (suggested: 17 hours,).
- 5After brining, remove the eggs and cut in half. Scoop out the yolks into a medium-large bowl.
- 6Remove a few slices of onion from the jar, and finely chop/mince (if desired).
- 7With a stand or hand mixer, whip together the egg yolks, mayo, butter, onion, and seasonings; make sure to taste and adjust seasoning to preference. Mix in minced onion, if using.
- 8Pipe the yolk mixture into the pinked whites.
- 9Top with chopped fresh basil,.
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern-Style Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs
Serving Size: 1 (56 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 83.3
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 84.3 mg
- Sodium 163.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning