Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is based on the Southern Red Beans & Rice Recipe mixed with my family's recipe. This recipe has never had exact measurements, everything is to your preferred taste.
- 1 lb spicy turkey sausage, decased
- 1 (8 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1 cup frozen okra, cut (optional)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups boiling water
- Decase sausages & place is skillet with enough oil or butter to prevent from sticking, brown.
- Once browned add 1/2 cup water allow to simmer, once simmering add red beans (do not drain) and add additional 1/4 cup water. Add salt, Old Bay & cayenne, simmer for 15 minutes (add frozen okra after 5 minutes).
- Mix 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch to 1/4 cup water, mix till smooth. (this prevents you from having lumpy gravy for any recipe).
- Add cornstarch mixture to simmering pan of beans & meat; stir well. Reduce heat to low. (add more water if gravy is to thick).
- In small sauce pan; bring 2 cups water to boil, add 1 cup rice and reduce heat to low. Cover pan & cook until rice is fluffy, about 10 minutes.
- Place rice in bowl or on plate & cover with red beans & meat.