Prep 35 mins
Cook 15 mins
Entered for safe-keeping. Entered for safe-keeping. This was submitted by Harold Cohen to the Ultimate Recipe Showdown on the Food Network. The pimento cheese has also been saved as Southern Pimento Cheese from Harold Cohen's Ultimate Burger, and the slaw was saved as Honey Slaw from Harold Cohen's Ultimate Burger
SOUTHERN PIMENTO CHEESE
- 1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, at room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 ounces diced pimentos, drained (from jar)
- 1 tablespoon bread and butter pickle juice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon horseradish sauce
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1⁄4 cups cabbage, shredded
- 8 slices thick-cut applewood smoked bacon
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground chuck
- 1⁄4 lb cured and smoked country ham, finely chopped (or chopped in a food processor)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 potato hamburger buns, split
- 1⁄2 cup potato chips, crushed (preferably plain flavor, kettle-cooked)
- MAKE PIMENTO CHEESE:.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine Cheddar and Jack cheeses, mayonnaise, cream cheese, pimento peppers, pickle juice, horseradish sauce, and mustard; mix until well combined.
- MAKE HONEY SLAW:.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, honey, and cabbage; mix until well combined.
- COOK BACON:.
- Heat a 12-inch nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until the bacon is crispy, about 5 minutes, flipping once. Drain on paper towels. Pour off almost all of the bacon fat from the pan, leaving a very thin layer.
- MAKE PATTIES:.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (for toasting buns).
- Combine the beef, country ham, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix well. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and form into patties to fit the buns. Make an indentation in the middle of the top of each pattie to ensure even cooking.
- Using the same grill pan as before, cook the hamburgers over medium-high heat for 3 minutes per side or until cooked medium rare.
- Meanwhile, place buns on a rack in the oven. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, place the plates that the burgers will be served on in the oven to heat.
- ASSEMBLE BURGERS:.
- Spread a generous amount of Pimento Cheese on the cut sides of the buns.
- On each bun bottom (on top of the Pimento Cheese), place a thin layer of Honey Slaw.
- Top the slaw with a burger patty, 2 slices of bacon, and crushed potato chips.
- Add the bun tops.
- Place the completed hamburgers on a nonstick baking sheet and bake in the oven for 1 minute.
- Serve burgers on warm plates.
DH said that this was the best hamburger ever. We enjoyed the different textures and flavors of the pimento cheese, bacon, slaw, and chips. The sweetness of the slaw was delightful. We will have our burgers like this again.
First off, thank you for posting this. I was going to if nobody else had, since it was very intriguing. Ok, I have mixed feelings on this burger. I did see the episode where he won the best burger round, but I'm not sure what the judges saw in it. I think it's definitely different, but I found the actual meat part to be the dominate item in this recipe. The pimento did come through, however not as pronounced as I was expecting. I also didn't taste that pickle juice the judges said was one of the deciding win factors. In a nutshell, it's a tasty burger no doubt, but not one I would consider outstanding. Then again, what do I know. I'm not a professional chef. ;)