1/2 Photos of Southern Pimento Cheese Burger by Harold Cohen - Ultimate Burger
Entered for safe-keeping. Entered for safe-keeping. This was submitted by Harold Cohen to the Ultimate Recipe Showdown on the Food Network. The pimento cheese has also been saved as Southern Pimento Cheese from Harold Cohen's Ultimate Burger, and the slaw was saved as Honey Slaw from Harold Cohen's Ultimate Burger
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
SOUTHERN PIMENTO CHEESE
- 1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 ounces diced pimentos, drained (from jar)
- 1 tablespoon bread and butter pickle juice
- 1/2 tablespoon horseradish sauce
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 8 slices thick-cut applewood smoked bacon
- 1 1/4 lbs ground chuck
- 1/4 lb cured and smoked country ham, finely chopped (or chopped in a food processor)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 potato hamburger buns, split
- 1/2 cup potato chips, crushed (preferably plain flavor, kettle-cooked)
- 1MAKE PIMENTO CHEESE:.
- 2In a medium mixing bowl, combine Cheddar and Jack cheeses, mayonnaise, cream cheese, pimento peppers, pickle juice, horseradish sauce, and mustard; mix until well combined.
- 3MAKE HONEY SLAW:.
- 4In a small mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, honey, and cabbage; mix until well combined.
- 5COOK BACON:.
- 6Heat a 12-inch nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until the bacon is crispy, about 5 minutes, flipping once. Drain on paper towels. Pour off almost all of the bacon fat from the pan, leaving a very thin layer.
- 7MAKE PATTIES:.
- 8Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (for toasting buns).
- 9Combine the beef, country ham, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix well. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and form into patties to fit the buns. Make an indentation in the middle of the top of each pattie to ensure even cooking.
- 10Using the same grill pan as before, cook the hamburgers over medium-high heat for 3 minutes per side or until cooked medium rare.
- 11Meanwhile, place buns on a rack in the oven. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, place the plates that the burgers will be served on in the oven to heat.
- 12ASSEMBLE BURGERS:.
- 13Spread a generous amount of Pimento Cheese on the cut sides of the buns.
- 14On each bun bottom (on top of the Pimento Cheese), place a thin layer of Honey Slaw.
- 15Top the slaw with a burger patty, 2 slices of bacon, and crushed potato chips.
- 16Add the bun tops.
- 17Place the completed hamburgers on a nonstick baking sheet and bake in the oven for 1 minute.
- 18Serve burgers on warm plates.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Pimento Cheese Burger by Harold Cohen - Ultimate Burger
Serving Size: 1 (324 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 906.4
- Calories from Fat 610
- Total Fat 67.7 g
- Saturated Fat 25.8 g
- Cholesterol 187.0 mg
- Sodium 1490.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 49.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
bread and butter pickle juice
potato hamburger buns