Recipe by Roxygirl in Colorado
This cake is special enough for birthdays, since I made it for my son's first! He loved banana bread (still does!!) so it seemed a natural pick. The Banana-nut frosting is unique or try your own favorite. Note: the frosting calls for both 16 ounces powdered sugar PLUS 3 cups flour.
Top Review by zanne
OMG - this is the BEST cake I have ever eaten. I took it to work and nearly everyone asked for the recipe. However, I use vanilla butter frosting instead of the one listed here. It tastes just like Sara Lee Banana cake.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups mashed bananas
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon (I used juice) or 2 tablespoons orange juice (I used juice)
- 1 cup chopped pecans (can be omitted)
Banana Nut Frosting
- 1⁄2 cup mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 16 ounces powdered sugar, sifted PLUS an additional
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 -4 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup coconut, toasted (I omitted)
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped pecans (I omitted)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating will at medium speed of an electric mixer.
- Add bananas; mix until smooth.
- Stir in eggs.
- Combine flour and baking soda; add to banana mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture (mixing after each addition).
- Stir in vanilla, bourbon (or juice) and pecans.
- Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9 inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes; cool in pans 10 minutes and remove cake from pans.
- Cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread Banana Nut Frosting between layers and on top of cake.
- Yield: one 3 layer cake.
- Banana Nut Frosting:.
- Combine banana and lemon juice; set mixture aside.
- Cream softened butter at medium speed of an electric mixer; add powdered sugar and milk and mix well.
- Add banana mixture, beating until fluffy.
- Stir in toasted coconut and chopped pecans.
- Yield: 3 1/2 cups.