Prep 2 hrs
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from Beard On Bread. It's absolutely wonderful -- great for sandwiches or toast.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour (preferably unbleached)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm milk
- 1⁄2 walnut oil
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 3⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped (or caramelized)
- Sift flour, salt, and sugar into a warm bowl.
- Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup of warm milk, and pour it into the middle of the flour, together with the walnut oil (or butter) and the rest of the milk.
- Knead well until the dough is firm and blended into a smooth, springy ball (about 10 minutes).
- Leave in a warm place to rise for 2 hours (or in a cool place overnight).
- Punch down the dough, mix in the walnuts and onion, shape into four rounds, and leave on a greased baking tray to rise for 45 minutes.
- Bake at 400º for 45 minutes, or until the loaves sound hollow when tapped underneath.
- Note: After 20 minutes of baking, check to see how brown the loaves are.
- Cover loosely with foil if they are browned.