Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
In order to get your Southern Belle license, you have to know how to make cucumber sandwiches!!! These are a staple for bridal and baby showers and ladies' teas. They are very tasty andpretty.
- Peel and cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise.
- Remove the seeds and sprinkle the cavities liberally with salt.
- Place the cucumbers on a rack in a glass dish, cover, and let drain overnight.
- The next day rinse the cucumbers to remove excess salt, and press between paper towels to remove any excess moisture.
- Chop the cucumbers and put into a food processor.
- Blend for 10 seconds.
- Chop the cream cheese into cubes, and add to the cucumbers along with the chives and salad dressing powder, and blend until smooth.
- Cut the crusts from the bread and use a cookie cutter to cut shapes out of each slice.
- I use a heart-shaped cutter that is 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches.
- You can usually get two sandwiches out of each slice of bread.
- I freeze the scraps to use for bread crumbs, or I feed them to the birds.
- Spread the cucumber filling on each slice and place into an airtight container separating layers or sandwiches with waxed paper.
- Refrigerate for an hour or more.
- Place on a serving platter and garnish each sandwich with a snippet of fresh parsley.
Thank you so much for this recipe. I've been searching so long for the one that tastes like my grandmother used to make, and this is it!
I was very disappointed with this recipe. The consistency was thinner than I expected. I followed the directions exactly and all I got was cucumber soup. I highly doubt I will ever make this again. But ... never say never.
I was looking for a new cucumber sandwich to serve with tea. This was a very good one and not hard to make. The ranch dressing add a nice new flavor. Thanks Georgia Girl. Bullwinkle