Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This hot appetizer is made of chicken strips marinated in soy sauce, pineapple juice, passion fruit juice and ginger. I made this for the Tapas party my friend was going to have. Just a different twist on things!
SOUTH PACIFIC CHICKEN
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄2 cup passion fruit nectar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 -2 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1 1/2-inch long strips or 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken tenders
GUAVA DIPPING SAUCE
- 1 cup guava nectar
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 ounce dark rum (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 2 green onions, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- fresh ground black pepper
- green onion, finely minced, for garnish & dipping sauce
- fresh pineapple, sliced, for garnish
- fresh kiwi, sliced, for garnish
- Soak wooden skewers in water.
- Add pineapple juice, passion fruit nectar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, allspice, salt, and pepper to a nonreactive baking dish large enough to hold all the chicken and mix well.
- Add chicken strips and turn to coat; cover and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade, and skewer each chicken strip.
- Thread chicken onto skewers and place skewers on a baking sheet.
- Broil in the oven about 6 inches from the heat for 7-8 minutes, turning once.
- GUAVA DIPPING SAUCE:.
- Add guava nectar, pineapple juice, garlic, ginger, and green onions to a small saucepan over medium-high heat and reduce by half.
- Remove from heat and add butter, stirring until melted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and more green onions.
- TO SERVE:.
- Place Guava Dipping Sauce in a small bowl, and place bowl in the middle of a large serving platter.
- Fan out South Pacific Chicken Skewers around bowl.
- Garnish platter with green onions and pineapple slices. .