Prep 3 hrs 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I adapted this from similar recipes found online. Mixing the Crystal Light with the sugar they're rolled in gives them a great burst of sour flavor to help offset the sweetness a little. This recipe is also easily customizable to get the flavor you want.
- 2 2⁄3 cups applesauce
- 2 (9 5/8 g) packetsappeltini powdered drink mix, divided (Crystal Light)
- 4 (2 7/8 ounce) boxesgreen apple jolly rancher gelatin
- 5 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 2⁄3 cups sugar, divided
- Spray a 9" x 13" pan on bottom and well up the sides with nonstick spray.
- Combine 4 c sugar, 1 packet appletini Crystal Light and all other ingredients in a large saucepan and allow to rest for 1 minute.
- Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 2 minutes.
- Pour into 9" x 13" pan.
- Place in refrigerator to cool for at least 3 hours. Pan may rest on counter for ~15 minutes to significantly reduce sloshing while being moved.
- Spray a nonporous cutting board with nonstick spray.
- Run a knife along the edge of the pan to loosen the gumdrops, then turn onto greased cutting board.
- Cut into ~3/4 inch cubes. A greased pizza wheel is highly recommended, or a cookie cutter can be used to make fun shapes.
- In a small bowl, combine 2/3 c sugar and 1 packet appletini Crystal Light.
- Roll gumdrops in sugar/Crystal Light to coat.
- Allow to sit uncovered for a couple hours until dry.
- Store in an airtight container.