Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I searched and searched this year for a non-pumpkin spice cake, starting with a mix, to make for Thanksgiving. Since I couldn't find one, I invented one. Enjoy!!
- 14 1⁄2 ounces boxed cake mix (I used Orange, but white or yellow would work fine, too)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temp
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 oranges
- 2 teaspoons cloves
- Sift cake mix and spices into a mixing bowl.
- Add sour cream, milk, eggs and oil.
- Beat at low speed until dry ingredients are incorporated.Beat at high speed for 3 minute.
- Pour batter into appropriate sized pans. (Look at cake mix package for suggestions. I used 2 nine inch round pans).
- Bake according to cake mix package instructions. Cool before icing.
- Put the zest of two oranges into a mixing bowl.
- Mix the cream cheese, zest, and 1 tbsp juice until smooth.
- Gradually add pwd sugar until you reach desired consistency and sweetness.
I really, really liked this. It tastes like the holidays. It sort of reminded me of a big pot of mulled cider. I did use the orange cake mix. Very different from the usual holiday cake.