Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a hearty soup and smells so good that strangers have knocked on my door and asked me what I'm cooking! The recipe comes from a booklet published by the Israel Vegetable Marketing Board.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, cut into cubes
- chopped hot pepper (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, cut into thin slices
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 cup fresh pumpkin, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 cup orange lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 6 cups soup stock
- curry powder
- ginger, to taste
- 1. Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add onion, saute for several minutes, and then add garlic and hot pepper.
- 2. Add sliced carrots and sweet potato and continue to saute for 5-7 minutes longer.
- 3. Add soup stock, pumkin and lentils. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat.
- 4. Cook over a low heat for approximately 30 minutes, or until vegetables and lentils are soft.
Perfect! I used vegetable stock and about a heaped teaspoon of curry powder, once cooked I pureed till smooth. It made for a delightful lunch.