Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 40 mins
From COOKS.COM. but altered a bit by me. My husband loved this soup! It is a vegetable soup with meat that I made creamy by using a blender after removing the meat (and all bones). It is an orange tinted soup. I was trying to find a soup like my Grandmother's. This wasn't really like her soup (her's was greener, maybe from split peas and less carrots) but this was very good nevertheless. I didn't add the dill but think it would be good next time.
- 2 -3 lbs beef short ribs, known as flanken
- 4 -5 quarts water
- 6 ounces vegetable soup mix, Manischewitz brand (dried)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 5 medium carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 medium onions
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed, to taste, can use garlic powder too
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, to taste, can use whole peppercorns
- fresh dill (optional)
- Grate carrots, celery and onions, and set aside. I blended the soup later so this step is up to you. If you want a creamy soup, no need to grate.
- In a large pot, cover the flanken with water; bring to boil for 2 minutes; then change water to the full amount (4-5 quarts).
- Bring this fresh water with flanken to a boil.
- Add the dried soup mix with contents of seasoning packet enclosed, bouillon cubes and the bay leaf.
- Cook for 1/2 hour.
- Add (grated) vegetables and cook for at least 1 hour on a low flame. I cooked it for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Then add garlic powder or fresh garlic. Salt and pepper, to taste, and add potatoes. Cook for 10-15 minutes more.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- When ready to serve, remove bay leaf.
- If you want the soup creamy, you may remove veggies to the blender. Be careful for any bones that may have come loose from the short ribs.
- Meanwhile, put the meat into a separate bowl so that you can remove bones and fat and trim into nice chunks.
- Once the veggies are blended, you can add it back to the pot with the soup to mix.
- You may serve in bowls with the meat added or freeze in plastic containers distributing the meat chunks evenly.
- Serve with bread as a meal in one.