Sopa De Orejas (Colombian Rice Fritter Soup)
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot, add the onions, scallions, garlic cumin, achiote, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Add the broth, carrots and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce temperature and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- While the broth is simmering, start making the fritters: Place the rice in the food processor and process for about 2 minutes.
- Mix well, the rice, milk, eggs, sazon goya, cumin, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches in a skillet. Drop the rice mixture by tablespoons into hot oil. Cook 2 to 4 minutes, or until golden, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Add the fritters to the soup and cook for 12 minutes more. Add fresh cilantro and serve warm with rice and avocado on the side.