Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe is from the My Colombian Recipes cooking blog.
- 10 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon achiote
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro or 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and diced
Fritters or Orejas
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sazon goya with azafran
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot, add the onions, scallions, garlic cumin, achiote, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Add the broth, carrots and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce temperature and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- While the broth is simmering, start making the fritters: Place the rice in the food processor and process for about 2 minutes.
- Mix well, the rice, milk, eggs, sazon goya, cumin, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches in a skillet. Drop the rice mixture by tablespoons into hot oil. Cook 2 to 4 minutes, or until golden, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Add the fritters to the soup and cook for 12 minutes more. Add fresh cilantro and serve warm with rice and avocado on the side.