Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
The tomato sauce listed in the ingredient list is hogao, a basic Colombian seasoning sauce. It takes about half an hour to make and will keep in the fridge for a week. Recipe is from one of my favorite cooking blogs, My Colombian Recipes.
- 2 lbs pork ribs or 2 lbs pork neck bones
- 8 cups water
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sazon goya with azafran
- 2 whole scallions
- 1 (15 ounce) can yellow hominy (maiz pelao amarillo)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce, Colombian Tomato and Onion Sauce (Hogao)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Place a pot over medium-high heat. Add the water, salt, pepper, whole scallions, cumin, sazon Goya and pork ribs, bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium- low. Cook for about 35 to 40 minutes. Discard the scallions.
- Add potato, hominy, thyme and hogao, cover and cook for 25 minutes more or until the pork is cooked.
- Add the cilantro and serve.