Recipe by Julie in TX
Soup is such a comfort food. Manuel's Cafe y Bar on Congress Avenue in Austin, Texas makes this soup and everyone raves about it! It's wonderful served with crusty cornbread sticks.
Top Review by Mary Beth C.
Been making this for over 20 years! Used to go into Manuel's to order it but they published the recipe in the Austin American Statesman 20+ years ago and just make it at home now! Has been a staple in my recipe book for the holidays ever since. Be sure to add the cheese as a garnish on top...the Mexican shredded blend is the best. Enjoy!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 medium poblano peppers, toasted,peeled and chopped or 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 8 cups corn kernels, pureed in blender or food processor
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 1 quart milk
- 1 sprig cilantro, minced
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a 6-quart saucepan.
- Add onion, pepper and corn.
- Saute 3 minutes over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Add half-and-half, milk and cilantro.
- Salt to taste.
- Heat to boiling.
- Immediately reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with cheese.