Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Delicious Spanish soup.
- 1 crusty baguette (day old)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 6 -8 cloves garlic
- 3⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 6 cups water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- In a wide, shallow soup pot, heat oil and lightly sauteé garlic (just until golden, not burned).
- Add bread, that has been previously sliced very thinly, and fry until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and add paprika.
- Stir well.
- Add water and stir.
- Salt to taste.
- Heat soup over medium low heat for about a half an hour.
- When the soup is just about done, add the eggs.
- Serve hot.
I'm really sorry CG- this just didn't work for me at all. I made it as directed and when I tasted the soup right before the step where you add the eggs- it had very little flavour. Because my guests were arriving soon, I quickly sauteed some onions and additional garlic and threw them in with a bunch of seasoning. In the end it turned out ok, but I really had to doctor it up. I'm really sorry that I can't give it a better rating.. MG
I did it as comfort food for my cold. I used the equivalent of 2 ts of spanish smoked paprika, that's really stronger than regular paprika, and some chicken stock instead of water. May be that's where the flavor came from. I also cooked the last 15 min under the broiller.