Recipe by HeatherFeather
Adapted from Southern Living. This is very different from the usual green bean casseroles out there. I prefer sweet onions such as Walla Walla or Vidalia, but ordinary cooking onions are fine too. French style green beans are regular green beans that have been thinly sliced. If all you have is the regular kind, simply slice them into thin strips with a knife or use them whole.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can French style green beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can white shoepeg corn or 1 (11 ounce) can corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can low-fat cream of celery soup or 1 (10 3/4 ounce) canregular cream of celery soup
- 2 -3 stalks celery, trimmed,washed,and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped (approximately 1/4 to 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- 1 (8 ounce) container light sour cream or 1 (8 ounce) containerregular sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 22 round butter flavored crackers, such as ritz,crushed
- 1 (2 ounce) package sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 F and have ready a greased medium oval baking dish (7"x11" size).
- Mix together the cracker crumbs, nuts, and the melted butter and set aside.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients and pour into the prepared pan, sprinkling the nut mixture over the top.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until bubbly.