Recipe by Wicked Creations
This was a Slovak traditional cake that was passed down in my family which I make for special occasions and now its my birthday cake. Solo still prints the recipe on the back of its label of Poppy Seed filling. I did not find the recipe in here and wanted to share this truly delectable for all to enjoy since I hate seeing lemon with it-just ruins it. I hear complaints that people think poppy seed is dry and stay away from it. You haven't eaten it properly then! I love poppy seed! It is so addicting! Very moist and good right out of the oven. Even better next day when flavors have mellowed. Its really good cold too. Its so good, it doesn't need frosting!! I will post my lighter version that I use now just for me since I am dieting and for my hypoglycemia. Enjoy!
Top Review by Dee514
Excellent poppy seed cake, its won many blue ribbons in the 50 years that I've been making it.
The only difference between your recipe and mine is that I make my own poppy seed filling instead of using canned. Oh, and the baking powder seems to be missing from the ingredients - was that intentional?
- 1 cup butter (softened-I used butter better for the cake) or 1 cup margarine (softened-I used butter better for the cake)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 12 1⁄2 ounces solo ground poppy seed filling (1 can)
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream (diary)
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease and flour 12 cup Bundt pan or 10 inch tube pan and set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add poppy seed filling and beat until blended.
- Beat in egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and sour cream and beat just until blended.
- In a small bowl, blend flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture to poppy seed mixture gradually beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, beat whites with electric mixer untill stiff peaks form.
- Fold whites into batter and spread in prepared pans.
- Bake for 60 minutes to one hour 15 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool completely on rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving if desired.