Recipe by Bill Hilbrich
The juice from the Pomegrante and the lime with offer a nice balance to the sweetness of the onion, and give the rice a pink glow. Served with a side dish, this will make a nice lunch for one.
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into small cubes
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄3 cup onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄3 cup white rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Make several long cuts through the husk of a Pomegranate, hold it under water in a large bowl, and break it apart.
- Skim off the parts that float, then drain in a colander.
- Put the red pomegranate seeds in a food blender and grind on high for a minute.
- Strain the liquid through a sieve into a measuring cup.
- Add the lime juice and enough additional water to make a total of 2/3 cup liquid.
- Put the olive oil into a frying pan, add the butter and once melted, add the onion.
- Stir the onion until the flesh is nearly clear, then add the chicken and continue to stir until the meat starts to look white.
- Add the rice, stir until all the grains are covered in the oil/butter and then add the liquid.
- Turn the heat down to the lowest setting, cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 15 minutes.
- At the end of the 15 minutes, turn off the heat.
- DO NOT REMOVE THE LID, and let it sit for another 15 minutes.