Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is our solar cooked version of the Hawaiian Kalua Pig (Pork). Please watch how we prepared it on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YldG0t12zfw&feature=channel_page
- 2 lbs pork shoulder (butt)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons liquid smoke, to taste
- 2 teaspoons hawaiian sea salt, to taste
- 1 banana peel
- Season the pork shoulder with sea salt.
- Rub liquid smoke on the pork.
- Place banana peel on top of the pork. (banana peel replaces banana leaves for flavor).
- Transfer pork to solar cooking pot and place in solar cooker.
- Solar cook until it is completely cooked (about 4 hours).
- When pork is done, pull apart/shred.
- Serve with rice, stir-fried cabbage, and macaroni salad.