Solar Cooked Irish Soda Bread
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 10mins
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 cups plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons water
- Combine flour, salt, and baking soda in a bowl.
- Add about 1 cup of yogurt into the flour mixture and stir together.
- Transfer on a floured surface and knead.
- Add remaining yogurt as needed until the dough comes together to form a slightly sticky ball.
- Place in a lightly greased solar cooking pan or pot.
- Flatten slightly and use a knife to score an X on top of the dough.
- Brush the top of the dough lightly with water.
- Place inside the solar cooker.
- Solar cook until it is fully cooked and golden brown (about 3 hours).
- Slice and serve with butter or fruit preserves.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
"We bought a solar cooker in May 2009. It has inspired us ever since to create makeshift solar cookers. We have a channel dedicated to our solar cooking adventures. It shows solar cooking from start to finish and a few recipes. You will see how we have adapted our own recipes and other recipes we like to solar cooking and we are here to share our solar cooking experiences with you. Please check out our videos on YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/SunshineCooking"
Join The Conversation
I used this recipe for the maiden voyage of my solar windshield shade cooker. This is a perfect beginner recipe. It took me 5 minutes to prepare and turned out beautifully with great flavor. It didn't brown much and took longer than expected, but I expect that was due to my inexperience. (I also did not watch the YouTube video.)<br/><br/>When the bread was finished, my cooker peaked at 225 degrees at 2:30 in the afternoon, outside temperature 95 degrees.