1/1 Photo of Soft Gluten Free Naan Bread (Indian Flatbread)
A soft, easy to roll gluten free naan that you have to try to appreciate. Made dairy-free or not, these are the talk of the gluten-free community!
My Private Note
naan br ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup water, heated to 110 degrees F
- 1 tablespoon honey or 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 3/8 cup potato starch, plus more for dusting
- 3/8 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons guar gum or 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten (or use gluten free egg replacer or substitute)
- unsalted butter, for buttering tops of naan (or Earth Balance spread)
- 1If using milk, whether cow's or rice milk, with vinegar, mix and set aside for 15 minutes until thick. If it does not reach the consistency of butter milk, use less than 1/2 cup.
- 2Add warm water to a medium sized bowl; add sugar or honey; stir to dissolve; add yeast; stir; and set aside until frothy, about 5 minutes. If it does not bubble start over with fresh yeast.
- 3In a large bowl, add remaining dry ingredients; whisk thoroughly.
- 4Add buttermilk, beaten eggs, to yeast mixture; whisk well.
- 5Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients; using a rubber spatula, stir until it reaches a soft dough the consistency of creamy mashed potatoes; allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- 6Scatter 2 tablespoons potato starch to a clean, flat surface; scoop 1/3 cup at a time of dough; add to floured surface; knead with dusted hands; shape into a disk as wide as your spatula.
- 7Using a wide, thin spatula, transfer to preheated cast iron skillet.
- 8Using the back of your fingers or a pastry roller dusted with starch, immediately flatten and distribute dough in pan working from the center, moving outwards.
- 9Fry on each side for approximately 2 1/2 minutes; coat tops of fully cooked naan with salted butter.
- 10Repeat with remaining dough adding additional potato starch as needed for kneading.
- 11Serve warm and store uncooked dough covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Soft Gluten Free Naan Bread (Indian Flatbread)
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 289.3
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 53.8 mg
- Sodium 557.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: